What is Surrogacy?
In simple words, Surrogacy is a process in which a woman gives birth to a baby without any genetic connection. The surrogate mother bears the fetus and gives birth to the baby on behalf of a want to be a mother who is physically unable to have babies herself.
After the birth, the surrogate mother hands over the baby to its original genetic parents.
Legal Methodology of Surrogacy in India
India legalized commercial surrogacy in the year 2002; the 228th report of the Law Commission of India has recommended prohibiting commercial surrogacy and allowing ethical altruistic surrogacy by enacting a suitable legislation. One of the prime reasons for surrogacy services in India is poverty, which makes poor Indian women rent their wombs for money or other essential commodities.
The Surrogacy (regulation) bill, 2016 was introduced in Lok Sabha on 21st November 2016, and on 12th January 2017, it was referred to the standing committee.
The Surrogacy bill of 2016 focuses on the prevention of commercial surrogacy and the promotion of altruistic surrogacy. The bill also safeguards the surrogate mother and child from exploitation. Surrogacy is a way by which an infertile married couple who is eligible by the provisions of the bill can now bear a child with the help of a surrogate mother. However, the surrogate mother will not be given any monetary benefit or compensation for renting her womb to the intended couple except for her medical and insurance expenses during pregnancy.
Conditions for a Surrogate Mother
A surrogate mother has to be:
- a close relative of the couple
- A married/ widow with a child of her own
- Between the age of 25-35 years
- Can be a surrogate only once in her life.
- A certificate of medical and psychological fitness for surrogacy must be possessed by her.
- Surrogacy is permitted only when
Surrogacy Is Permitted When It Is:
- For intending couples who suffer from proven infertility
- Not for commercial purposes
- Not for producing children for sale, prostitution, or other forms of exploitation; and
- For any condition or disease specified through regulations.
Learn about apk
Conditions For Intending Couple
The intending couple should have a certificate of essentiality and a certificate of eligibility issued by the appropriate authority.
A certificate of essentiality will be issued only after the fulfillment of the following conditions:
- A certificate of proven infertility of one or both of the intending couples from a District Medical Board
- An order of parentage and custody of the surrogate child was passed by a Magistrate’s court; and
- Insurance coverage for 16 months covering postpartum delivery complications for the surrogate mother.
- The couple is Indian citizens and married for at least five years
- The age should be between 23 to 50 years old (wife) and 26 to 55 years old (husband)
- They should not have any surviving child (biological, adopted, or surrogate); (Except any mentally or physically challenged child or any suffering child from a life-threatening disorder or fatal illness).
To fulfill the dream for parenthood of several infertile couples, a proficient IVF Center in Siliguri is emerging.
Gestational surrogacy (also known as host or full surrogacy was first achieved in April 1986. It takes place when an embryo created by in vitro fertilization (IVF) technology is implanted in a surrogate mother, sometimes called a gestational carrier.
Surrogacy has been conducted through fertilizing the egg of the woman parent with the sperm of the man parent, or if necessary, sperm from a donor has also been used through medical procedures to make a zygote, which turns into an embryo after further divisions. This embryo is then implanted in the uterine wall of the surrogate mother, who carries and eventually gives birth to the baby. This method is sought by both men and women who wish to be a parent via surrogacy. The dedicated Fertility center in Raiganj is providing treatments to win against infertility.
Welcoming a baby via surrogacy involves a few steps in a legal process. Both intended parents and surrogate mothers are required to sign agreements to avoid any future problems with the legal rights of the child. Meanwhile, surrogacy can also be emotionally challenging for the surrogate mother who tends to get attached to the baby. Unlike other pregnancies, even surrogacy has some medical risks involved.
Apart from different challenges, surrogacy comes as bliss for many parents who deeply want to experience the magic of parenthood, but are unable because of their infertility. That is why the search for IVF Center in North Bengal is increasing day by day.
For more queries you can always consult with the best fertility expert in Siliguri.